Unless you have been on an extended holiday in some remote cave, you are sure to have heard about AirPrint, one of the much awaited additions to Apple iOS 4.2. Gadget junkies have been excited about it for months, and the internet is teeming with blogs about it. So what is the hype all about? What exactly is AirPrint?
1. In a nutshell, AirPrint is a FREE software feature already packaged with Apple's iOS 4.2, so you will not need any other software downloads. If you are not already on iOS 4.2, all you have to do is upgrade to get AirPrint.
2. No printer drivers needed. With iOS 4.2 comes a new "Print" button that you didn't use to have before and that is all you will need.
3. It is truly wireless printing. Gone are the days when you are a slave to your printer cables. Your device will automatically locate and connect to AirPrint- enabled printers on your wireless network, even if it's on a different floor from where you are.
4. AirPrint will let you print emails, pictures, web content, documents and anything else you need to print from your iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad. It works with Mail, Safari, iWork, Photos and other third party applications with built-in printing. As long as you can open it on your device, you can print it with AirPrint.
5. Officially, AirPrint does require an ePrint-enabled printer. To date, you have a choice from among 12 of HP's line, 7 of which have ePrint capabilities already built-in and 5 will require a simple firmware upgrade. Come December 27, additional 6 models will also be eligible for a firmware upgrade.
6. The market expects Apple to officially support AirPrint on non-HP printers soon, but if you cannot wait, already there are many users who have successfully printed via AirPrint to their existing non-HP printers and shared their own "AirPrint reviews". Follow some really good discussion threads with plenty of useful tips from people in the know.
7. With AirPrint, there are no print options available other than the number of copies you want to print. No collating of pages, or changing the orientation, etc. It is basic printing, period.
8. You can read AirPrint basic information from this Apple Support Document.
9. You can ask your burning AirPrint questions at Apple Support.
Apple AirPrint is one of those cool things we think we don't really need, but as soon as we begin using we wonder how we could ever have survived without.
Printer Driver Download
iOS 4.2 Airprint « TLT at Franklin & Marshall
Printer Troubleshooting Guides
iPhone & Smartphone Related News
iOS 4.2: What you need to know « The College of Arts and Sciences – Gathering Point for Technology at the University of Oregon
Apple® iPad Airprint
Apple AirPrint, AirPrint, wireless printing, printer cables, ePrint, HP photosmart, HP LaserJet Pro, HP Officejet Pro, Apple iOS 4.2, HP printers, AirPrint reviews, Multifunction Printer, apple wireless printing